Formerly Abbey Church House, this beautiful building is reputed to be Bath’s last surviving Elizabethan building and can be traced back to 1590. The aristocracy flocked to Bath after the visit of Queen Elizabeth gave the spa the seal of royal approval in 1574. The list of visitors reads like a roll-call of the Elizabethan Court. The Queen’s favourite, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, came four times. Sir Walter Raleigh could scarcely keep away and urged his friends to meet him here time and again. Bath was soon building lodging houses fit for the noblest in the land. The only survivor is the Abbey Church House in Westgate Buildings. Houses around the baths were much sought after by Elizabethan physicians competing for wealthy patients. The Abbey Church House had a particular asset – a private bath drawn from the Hot Bath.It was so badly hit in the Bath Blitz that the whole west front is a post-war restoration, but the great chamber of his house is still there, with its Elizabethan panelling and elaborate chimney-piece. Dr Baker did not enjoy his new house for long. In November 1596, he was buried in Bath Abbey.
Hetling House after being severely damged by the Blitz.
Number three Hetling Court –has been lovingly restored and is now known as Muse Bath Town House. It offers many hidden treasures to its guests as the rise from the unusual internal Garden Room with its desecrate wall fountain up to the richly furnished drawing room in tones of burnt orange and mocha, and up to the elaborate master bedroom suite, with its silver canopy, copper bath and soft furnishings in a mix of teal and intricate silk walls and curtains, all locally handmade and upholstered. The style of the house is typical of each unique Muse property and is one of opulence, extravagance and a 21st century take on Georgian interior fashion. Every guest comfort has been considered and addressed without compromising the authenticity of the property.
Hetling House, Bath – 1872
This wonderful house has been well documented and a beautiful painting of Hetling House from 1929 was presented to the present owners on the acquisition of the Thermae Bath Spa in 2014. This now enjoys pride of place in the Muse Drawing Room of No 3 Hetling Court & a more recent painting by Bath Artist Irene Marsh of Hetling Court also lives in the magnificent Master Bedroom.